Hookloader training?

One for the trainers on the boards: I’ve done hookloader work for years and began with the usual on-the-job-training, given by another guy who learned the same way. I’ve been asked to run some other people through the process (in an unaccredited manner) and was wondering if has anyone here has formally trained people in hookloading? And if so what was your course content/duration etc. I’ve got a basic list of what I think folk need to know but any experienced input is appreciated as I’d like to give a thorough grounding as possible to these other drivers.

There is no formal course.

Its a skip. Skip on skip off. Once someone is shown that once then it ahould be suffice. Like everything else with a bit of experience it becomes a doddle to the point your already throwing the empty off whilst reversing.

As with most things the need for training is directly related to the need for someone to make money out of it!

My training course lasted, er, 5 minutes and 43 seconds (excluding breaks) :smiley:

If only there was a member with relevant qualifications…

It’s not just the Ro-Ro part, but when to sheet and when and why to refuse a skip. I did it for a few weeks and had a half-day with the foreman to start me off.

Beau Nydel:
As with most things the need for training is directly related to the need for someone to make money out of it!

:smiley: and also the need for a company to be able to say their staff have been trained so when something goes wrong it’s not their fault.

Nail head hit :slight_smile:

Zac_A:

Beau Nydel:

:smiley: and also the need for a company to be able to say their staff have been trained so when something goes wrong it’s not their fault.

ie dropping skip and using the arm to drag scrap cars into it./also upright pianos lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

Been at 3 places on agency using RoRos over the years.

First was 13 years ago, paper contracts, mainly compactors. Did 2 days out with one of their drivers, it was winter and really didn’t get on with the idea of trying to line up the bin precisely in the pitch black early mornings, especially when very cold and wet, asked the agency to take me off the job as I simply didn’t have the confidence to try it alone. Also didn’t like the idea of having to pick up whatever fell out when the bin was moved, probably worthwhile for the employed drivers at the time as they were on a good wage.

A few months later another firm shifting trade waste, did odds and ends for them, mainly dustcarts and then had a day out with the regular driver of their RoRo. He was happy enough to say on our return that he’d have no issues with me covering him when required. Main issue with that firm was that you seemed to need a criminal record to work there, driver I was with seemed quite proud of serving time for armed robbery! Didn’t go back as the firm folded, probably all locked up again!!!

Employed on multi-drop for several years then went back on agency 5 years ago, put into a firm doing council work, servicing household tips. Supposed to be 3 days training with accredited trainer, the 3rd day being an assessment too, get signed off then you’re welcome back, don’t and you won’t be. He wasn’t available for the first 2 days and decided that I hadn’t been shown enough of how they wanted things done on day 3, so he went through his methods in full, so my training took 5 days. Three good years on agency with them, enough work for a reasonable wage that covered the few quiet weeks in the year without needing to take up too much work at places I didn’t care for.

He jacked in the training part a couple of years ago, mainly due to the ever revolving door of agency drivers coming in for training, some not coming back after day 1 or simply not getting enough work from the firm so taking longer contracts elsewhere. It was noticeable how much the damage increased after he stopped, nets getting shredded, net arms getting bent into interesting shapes, bins getting dropped causing site and/or vehicle damage, etc…

If you are going to do it then you really should be getting paid extra for the added responsibility, especially if you’re likely to get blamed for one of your trainees destroying something.

Make sure the back doors closed properly )))))))

0FC08DBF-ACDE-43E9-BF22-43AB9DAA6402.jpeg
81F64954-272A-45C0-90E2-B5E95B6774D4.jpeg

It’s easy once you done a bit ,the more you do the braver you get :laughing:

Santa:
It’s not just the Ro-Ro part, but when to sheet and when and why to refuse a skip. I did it for a few weeks and had a half-day with the foreman to start me off.

When to sheet is easy, ALWAYS. You have to make sure that none of your load falls off the vehicle and the only way to do that is to always sheet down.

When and why to refuse a skip is a simple one. Is it spilling over the top? Is it overweight? Then in either case its going nowhere.

Its common sense, you don’t need to do a training course to work it out.

If the front wheels come off the ground, its over weight

You don’t always sheet if you’re carrying scrap and the wind lifts it wrong you’ll tear the sheet to shreds and then strain the sheet motor trying to winch it in.
Make sure you’re competent with a lump hammer and losing your temper; It helps when the roro hin doors wont unlock/lock.
Best advice is don’t go near them; Worst job I ever had, crap battered bins, old crap truck and filthy environment. Spoken to like crap aswell.

Santa:

What is a foreman, you can not use words like that

It all worked out very well, all the containers going onto the vehicles were fully covered in so no issues with sheeting etc. Most of the guys were already experienced so it was good practise for those that needed it. The company had good reasons for wanting to “tick that box”.