Northwest Trucks

pete smith:

gingerfold:

Bewick:
By my calculation “GF” it only makes that fine Dodge circa 16 ton gvw. I recall that single drive Albion Reivers with the same engine had a gvw of 18 tons. What might be the difference between the two ? Cheers Dennis.

You could be correct at 18 tons gvw Dennis, I should have asked Mr Howard. My reasoning for 16 tons was its 8 stud wheels on all axles. As a four-wheeler it would have been 12 tons gvw (4 tons front axle, 8 tons rear axle). remember seeing Reivers at 18 tons gvw that had 10 stud front axles and 8 stud back axles, which I thought at the time wasn’t ideal as you needed two spare wheels in the days when we carried such things and changed wheels ourselves. Anyway, this Dodge would have been a very useful work horse in its day and a profitable lorry to run.

Morning Graham,
Millers ran an Albion Reiver ( it was new in 1961) and from new it had 8 stud hubs all round and was plated for 18 ton gross, my Dad changed the front hubs to 10 stud and it could then be plated for 20 ton gross, I think if 10 stud hubs all round 22 ton. Off topic we also had a K reg Bison, that would only plate to 22 gross as it had the narrow AEC front axle, 5 ton? and an 18 ton back bogie that kept snapping the main trunion/pivot but that may have been the overloading!

Morning Pete
the AEC front axle used on the Mercury and Marshal was a 6 ton axle, and with power steering it was a ‘wide’ axle. The ‘narrow axle’ was used on non-power steering Mandators and that was a 5 ton axle, so if one of those was on a Bison then it was an oddity. From 1972 the Marshal was available as either a 22 or 24 ton gross 6-wheeler. The Marshal Major I had was 24 tons gvw.