Collision with merging vehicle

I was on a main road, and another vehicle was on the sliproad joining that main road. The kind where you can join at speed, if the road is clear.

Even though the other road was minor to the major one, he should have given way. As per the highway code.

It does not help that upon later inspection I found the slip road does not even have a give way sign or markings on the road to indicate such a thing.

Either way, we collided. There was no way that I could move to the right or back off at the time, and time was limited.

Upon seeking advice from others, several have told me that I should’ve backed off, if necessarily breaking hard to allow that as a vehicle into my carriageway. Which I disagree.

And as a professional driver I should have backed off and read the situation sooner, Which included harsh breaking if required.

Do you agree? Do any of my above other options?

At the time I was at the speed limit and vehicle capable speed. Driving an articulated fully loaded LGV.

which road and junction ?
if you were fully loaded you could have caused more carnage by trying to stop as trailer could of jack knifed and load shifted

100% up to the driver joining the main road to give way - that is the legal bit.

Without being there or having dash cam footage then it is impossible to say whether you could have made the situation safer.

Give way to the right

Carry on regardless of right or wrong, just kill yourself!!

What do you mean, you couldn’t stop because you were running late?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. I felt there was too short time to brake. I could have been wrong. It would have been a surprise for the truck right behind.

But I was on the speed limit and fully expected the cars to stop. Until one didn’t and collided.

Either way I’m probably in the wrong and won’t give the location until after my suspension and disciplinary in 3 weeks.

GET A DASH CAM ASAP

ROG:
GET A DASH CAM ASAP

Ironically the majority of the fleet have CCTV on board, but there are few older vehicles that don’t.

I’ve got one on my car, but I have not previously felt I needed one.

I am in a different truck every day.

So far there are two camps. One say that I was correct by staying in my lane and the other vehicle was incorrect by not giving way.

The other is that I’m a professional driver and I should’ve made allowances for the fact that any car will always attempt to get in front, to cut you up, to brake check you on their whim, and treat your braking space as their playground.

Saratoga:
So far there are two camps. One say that I was correct by staying in my lane and the other vehicle was incorrect by not giving way.

100% LEGALLY CORRECT

Saratoga:
The other is that I’m a professional driver and I should’ve made allowances for the fact that any car will always attempt to get in front

ON SAFETY GROUNDS = YES

It went to disciplinary and I was found cleared of being at fault.

Either way, I am a lot more wary at junctions with idiot drivers. Well, across the board really.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Happened to me a few weeks ago m62 roadworks… car coming off the sliproad but decided to stay along side my trailer . He could of easily backed off and merged behind me but no he decided to merge with a block of concrete (i had cars to my right so couldn’t move over)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk