Buses, coaches, & lorries

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:
These 2 Leyland PD2 buses, 1466 and 1470 seen here at the Pier Head, Liverpool in 1974
were new to Ribble Motor Services in 1956. Ribble certainly got their moneysworth out of
these buses and many others. Picture by David A. Powell.

1466 now:

JCK 541 Leyland PD2/12 by John Wakefield, on Flickr

Chris, I learned only recently that 1466 had been cut down to single deck, and it looks better
than I imagined it would. Where is it now, and is it on the rally circuit ? Cheers, Ray.

It belongs to a hospitality company in Whitchurch, Hants, 'and isn’t used for passenger carrying, I don’t think.

I saw it, entirely by chance, late one night about 3 months ago - belting up the A34 at Whitchurch: it must have been absolutely flat out, and sounded it. It looked quite smart, considering, and that would be the first time that I saw it since it was at Frenchwood, as the last Burlingham PD2 on the fleet.

By the way, are you sure that your photo of 1466 and 1470 was as late as 1974? I thought that they had finished by then, although it’s a long time ago now and I forget. Gerald will know when it left Ribble. I particularly remember 1466 because it was the last one, and I liked the look of those bodies. 1470 was an occasional school run performer too, I think, but both were based in Preston at that time, c.1970/1

Chris, This David A Powell picture is from “Glory Days, Ribble” and the script mentions “Picture in 1974”.
I can see that the Ribble name is in the later lower case lettering, which will bring it into the 1970s.
I always prefer the fleet name type from the period when I drove them, early 1968 for 2 years.
Regards, Ray.