Lorries with 13-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:
why is he blipping the throttle to upshift when he should be letting the revs die to match the cogs. He’d never have got thro’ a Class 1 test in Blighty with a Fuller 'box in our day! lol :laughing: . Robert

There is some method to that madness Robert at least on the flat.Just like matching the revs when you’ve shifted into neutral as part of a clutchless/floated upshift.Or possibly even having missed a shift,leaving the choice then of either re match the engine road speed perfectly or stop and start again.IE it’s just a method of rematching the engine speed if the revs have fallen below the road speed during an upshift.

Well yes, of course: all of us who drove constant-mesh 'boxes understand that! And I did it when necessary. Italians did it all the time though. I remember listening in amazement to the their progress up from Dover through Kent in the old days! Robert

Some might say it’s a matter of pride and keeping sharp and in practice in being able to instinctively recover and match a shift every time even if you’ve missed one.

Or on the other hand necessity because the driver ain’t quick enough in being able to catch the gear in time before the revs have fallen away too far and then seems to manage to recover it more by luck than judgement.

On that note I like the Italian driver’s style who seems to fit the former.

As opposed to this example who seems to fit the latter as two stroke diesel power rightly says.:wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lqvv1GecnrQ

Although look on the bright side still better than many Brit drivers whingeing about having to stop and start again because they’d missed a shift. :laughing: