Any old promotor drivers around

M&C Jamie wrote that he had a problem in Dover with a Promotor load bound for Tehran and that he had to take upstairs to the customs office the three cardboard boxes of paperwork that went with the load. One thing Promotor were really good at was churning out copious amounts of paperwork for the exhibition work we handled. Most of that paper was handed to me or whoever was repping the show by the driver once they had arrived. I would then hand a set to our Iranian agent to enable him to clear the load whilst a set was held by me for use at the end of the show. You have to remember that I flew out and it would have been almost impossible for me to have taken the documents with me especially as I always made my way to Heathrow by train and underground. The reason for the huge amount of paperwork at both Tehran and Baghdad Fairs was that we provided services for the bulk of the exhibitors. Many of them would take small exhibits all requiring invoices and associated documents. This also meant that the TIR Carnets all had to have packing lists attached to every page. Jamie said Bill Kitt had problems with his carnet. I’m not surprised if some things weren’t mentioned.

I have attached some photos showing trailers about to be unloaded at the Tehran Fair. I also have a photo of Bill Kitt’s load somewhere, I will dig it out. Almost all are small consignments on these trailers all of which we had to identify, clear them through customs, deliver them to the stands and in many cases, unpack and position the exhibits for the customer.