Lay-By’s

Sorry in advance for the potentially stupid question.

When in Europe, can you park overnight in lay by’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any time you want, aslong as they are not restricted, there are a few in Germany where you are
not allowed to park after 18.00, watch out in France if the “Travellers” are parked in the near (Diesel Fariys) Ther are certain areas in Belguim to avoid, I dont park on them anymore, now its either Industry Est. Autohof,or Routier

Geoff

frankspencer:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a stupid question at all !!

For France _:

If you mean the small refuges on dual carriageways (not Autoroutes), that may have an emergency phone along the side , then no.
You could in the past, but they are trying to stop it as it’s blocking up an emergency refuge
A lot now have signs along side stating that it is an offence to overnight there.

I think drivers that do park in these are just too [zb] lazy to come off at a junction and find somewhere to park up.

You can park in the aires no problem, wouldn’t do it getting near to Calais though, although most are now closed anyway.

frankspencer:

Germany and France, in fact most of Europe, have big laybys on their motorways, well off the road.
These are not services, the only thing there is the parking area and possibly a toilet block. They often have benches and sometimes tables as well.
You can park overnight there whenever it’s night, if you can get a space. They can fill up very quickly, sometimes before 5pm local time. You’re usually ok for a space till about 8pm, but that depends on where you are. Laybys within an hour of Stuttgart are at a premium, you want to be parked by 5 in that area for example.

You can park in these laybys all day as well, if you’re driving nights. But they have a fair bit of traffic moving in and out of them during the day.