Favorite Routiers and other European Truckstops

Beginning to revue my decision about 2 Caps next Thursday now. :neutral_face: :unamused: :laughing:

Well I did go there that time in the end, and was glad I did. The shop closes at about 10pm and a very quiet night’s sleep was had. Then from 6 in the morning they open up and a nice kick start coffee and a small pastry and I was good to go.

Not quite the same this morning though, I loaded and stayed at Pet Reception overnight and was woken at 2 in the morning by barking dogs. I didn’t think it was my 2 as it was accompanied by sounds of movement as if dogs were kicking at their cages, and if it had been mine they would have rocked the caravan as well. I looked out and saw the security guard wandering about and realised the dogs were in his van. The noise died down but I could hear it getting fainter and then louder as he drove on his rounds. After getting up I went up to 2 Caps to find it closed on a Sunday and it was 3 hours from up time before I got my first coffee at Maucombles. Gagging. :astonished:

Earlier in the week, on my way from Toulon to Poitiers via Orange I stopped at the previously excellent Chapeau Rouge at Issoire. It is still there but has poshed up a bit and the large lorry park opposite is blanked off. 3 of us parked in the car park and several more in the zone next door but if they were aiming for a better class of clientel, they failed. Only 13 diners, all drivers. This at a place that used to be heaving. The food was fine and we sat together of course which was good, but the cost was a little higher for a set meal, €18.50 including a demi apero because it was hot.