Personal or business travel insurance?

Evening all,

Just looking to renew travel insurance for the fella and me, as he’s now driving in Europe (away max. 2 weeks at a time), we suppose it would be a good idea to make sure he’s covered.

What I can’t quite determine is whether a personal annual multi-trip policy would cover him in case of an emergency, or whether he would need to take out a business policy separate. He works for a UK company PAYE, if that makes any difference.

Grateful to hear any of your thoughts and experiences on this :slight_smile:

WendyB:
Evening all,

Just looking to renew travel insurance for the fella and me, as he’s now driving in Europe (away max. 2 weeks at a time), we suppose it would be a good idea to make sure he’s covered.

What I can’t quite determine is whether a personal annual multi-trip policy would cover him in case of an emergency, or whether he would need to take out a business policy separate. He works for a UK company PAYE, if that makes any difference.

Grateful to hear any of your thoughts and experiences on this :slight_smile:

He is an employee?
You are a regular passenger?
What insurance does the employer provide for him?
Is it just EU countries?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Not quite sure as to why you would want to take out travel insurance because of employment. Your employer should be adequately insured, all you require is an E111 the European Health Insurance Card.
I carry mine but never used it, though a mate was admitted to hospital in France all treatment and medication was free, but he was charged for the 3 meals a day.

Franglais:

WendyB:
He is an employee?
Is it just EU countries?

Yes he’s an employee. I’m not a passenger, just generally someone with a bit more time available for Googling or posting here :laughing: He’s not aware of what/any insurance his employer holds, but he will ask. It’s just EU countries, and he has got a EHIC card, so I’m thinking I will just renew our normal travel insurance, then it’s up to him if he wants or needs anything further for work.

WendyB:

Franglais:

WendyB:
He is an employee?
Is it just EU countries?

Yes he’s an employee. I’m not a passenger, just generally someone with a bit more time available for Googling or posting here :laughing: He’s not aware of what/any insurance his employer holds, but he will ask. It’s just EU countries, and he has got a EHIC card, so I’m thinking I will just renew our normal travel insurance, then it’s up to him if he wants or needs anything further for work.

Ah, I see what you mean, the bit:

WendyB:
renew travel insurance for the fella and me

threw me a little.
Extending a “bog standard holiday travel insurance” for work probably wouldn`t be the way to go.
As Grumpy Dad says find out exactly what his employer covers (and it does vary) before deciding what “top-ups” may be necessary. Many companies have good driver medical and repatriation policies already.
EHIC cards are still valid but in the future…?

You could probably add business use to your personal travel insurance for a few quid, I have business travel insurance as I’m self employed in the events sector, it’s about £90 a year and was only a bit more than the personal insurance.

We have full travel insurance for our employees, which covered all medical, getting back to UK hospitals and (fortunately never needed), repatriation. Any good employer should have something similar.