Adding PSV when you've already got HGV

Anyone done this recently and know if you have to do the whole lot or is having an HGV medical and DQC enough that you can just do the theory and practical test or do you have to go through the whole process from scratch cos not sure I can face the tedium?

Hello.

You would have to do the whole lot again. Medical. Theory and Hazard perception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you had your medical less then a year ago, you will not have to have another one. I know if you have grandfather rights they can add it to your HGV cpc, you just have to contact DVLA.

If it all seems like too much, just get your provisional Category D entitlement added to your licence. Then do your bus modules 1a, 1b, and 2. Only then think about modules 3 and 4. That way, it doesn’t seem like too much. And modules 1a, 1b, and 2 aren’t expensive. If you book your module 3 (ie. the practical driving test) with PSTT, they sometimes do special deals where they include module 4 for no extra charge. Best to speak to them though about that, as I could be wrong.

How many years to your next D4 medical :question:

The answer to your question depends on your provisional licence did you tick both boxes e.g. buses and trucks.?

ROG:

Three years, I think possibly less

alamcculloch:
The answer to your question depends on your provisional licence did you tick both boxes e.g. buses and trucks.?

Far too long ago to remember that would suspect not even if it was an option back then - will it show on the back of the licence photo card or not?

I have a pcv, I thought about coach driving, but the other day, I was at the services and a load of football fans smelling of alcohol, loud, pushed in front of me while I was waiting for KFC, I thought, nah, stick to trucks, because you end up carrying these sorts, not knocking them, there having a hoot time, but, nah, I thought, better off as a trucker, there’s no money in coaches, I guess you know that

You could most likely earn more in haulage, I mainly do buses now . Its easy work the vehicles load and unload themselves. Drive to a castle get in free possibly a meal voucher. Be nice to the old folk there might be a whip round. Whats not to like?

Own Account Driver:

alamcculloch:

Far too long ago to remember that would suspect not even if it was an option back then - will it show on the back of the licence photo card or not?

It won’t but you can check whether you have the provisional at View or share your driving licence information - GOV.UK

If you don’t have the provisional and have done a medical in the past year: just send a D2 to get it (otherwise a D2 and D4)

If you’re old you can email the DVSA to get your CPC grandfather rights for D1 activated. You’ll then only need the theory test and driving test.

If you passed your car test after 97, you’ll also need the two initial CPC tests

When I filled out my form for Hgv About 7 years ago I also ticked the box for PSV. Was advised to this so it’s there in case I ever want to do it. My licence online shows that I do still have provisional entitlement for category D. So if I wanted to do it I assume for as long as that’s valid I would skip the medical and licence application. You do need to go through everything else though. Theory, hazard perception, practical, then if you intend to drive professionally if you have full cpc for hgv they don’t count for the first time you drive PSVs, so you also need your cpc case studies and cpc module 4 practical. Once the initial cpc is done then any future cpc hours count towards both. Ie you could do your next 35 hours all on load security with no relevance to buses and coaches or you could do all 35 hours on passenger comfort and customer service and you’d still have a valid cpc card that shows C, C+E, and D on it. Another way it shows how flawed the cpc system is but hey, let’s not start another debate on that on this thread.

Own Account Driver:

ROG:

Three years, I think possibly less

Shame really because if closer you could have sent the D2 prov for PCV when you did the LGV medical

Sploom:
I have a pcv, I thought about coach driving, but the other day, I was at the services and a load of football fans smelling of alcohol, loud, pushed in front of me while I was waiting for KFC, I thought, nah, stick to trucks, because you end up carrying these sorts, not knocking them, there having a hoot time, but, nah, I thought, better off as a trucker, there’s no money in coaches, I guess you know that

Your wrong. Theres money in coach work. Especially on tours etc.

Also the football side of things can go well. Whip round for driver after the game adding an extra 100 quid to your saturday.

Theres no money in lorry driving unless you fork out for the adr tankers or get a hiab or work on clamshell doing the roads. Tar game is not bad money either.

Before you say it im not a bus driver i hold an hgv liscence but gave up the game a while back when i seen how poor the wages were getting. Ps im only 37. I have done every aspect of the driving except tramping and can honestly say that i dont think i will ever set foot in a lorry again until things change money wise.

I am now driving a white van making a not bad wage doing a basic 40 houra compared to the long hours i used to the slug out driving tippers or skip motors.

My father works in the psv coach sector and hes got it cushty.

Yes, sure, if you like working with the public, it’s fine, but I’m happy as a trucker now

I did mine opposite way adding hgv when i had psv…

I had to do everything to get the licence…but already driving large vehicle you should be ok to cut the amount if training needed short.

As said there is no money in coach, i use to work all the hours and still take home naff all…tips are non exsitant now so can not rely on them to top wages up.

Deffo do less hours now and earn more and see family more, have a life again.

This was my experience too, but, it’s a matter of being in the right place at the right time, and who you know, and so on. It’s a massive responsibility as well isn’t it. It’s one thing to overturn a trailer but imagine having an accident if it’s full of children, doesn’t bear thinking about

When people say there’s no money in coaches, is this normal? from a current job advert.

“You will be in charge of a £250,000 coach”

Also how many lives on that £250,000 coach are you responsible for?

What price does this company put on that?

£82 per day…

For real?!

I know people said coaches didn’t pay as much as trucks but wow. I didn’t think you meant that bad.

My old firm i was at is currently on £8.50 an hour, thats any hour of the day, any day of week inc bank hols. Was £8 when i was there.

I did every kind of job going and if i got 1 tip a week id be lucky, average tip from full coach load was around 30quid!

When getting back having to mess around cleaning all the mess out of inside and then drop and recharge toilet…often at around midnight times.

I always worked 5 on 2 off 6 on 1 off…often doing 55hours plus on (not all driving obv)…

Most i ever earnt was 23k in that career.

I never understand how people say they wana go do coaches for better hours/money when i have found it to be the complete opposite…

All my views and findings mind

That does seem an amazingly poor wage for someone who is responsible for so many people’s safety.