So the A14 is closed Rugby to A508

Don’t know why

From Traffic England. Welcome to National Highways

A14 Incident Severe Location : The A14 westbound between junctions J2 Kelmarsh and J1 Welford
Reason : Road traffic collision
Time To Clear : The event is expected to clear between 13:00 and 13:15 on 15 May 2019
Return To Normal : Normal traffic conditions are expected between 13:00 and 13:15 on 15 May 2019
Delay : There are currently delays of 10 minutes against expected traffic
Lanes Closed : Lane 1 ClosedLane 2 Closed

A14 Incident Severe Location : The A14 eastbound between junctions M1 Catthorpe Interchange and J2 Kelmarsh
Time To Clear : The event is expected to clear between 12:45 and 13:00 on 15 May 2019
Return To Normal : Normal traffic conditions are expected between 12:45 and 13:00 on 15 May 2019
Lanes Closed : Lane 1 ClosedLane 2 Closed

M25 Incident Severe Location : The M25 anticlockwise between junctions J18 and J17
Time To Clear : The event is expected to clear between 12:15 and 12:30 on 15 May 2019
Return To Normal : Normal traffic conditions are expected between 12:15 and 12:30 on 15 May 2019
Lanes Closed : Lane 1 ClosedLane 2 ClosedLane 3 ClosedLane 4 Closed

M6 Incident Severe Location : The M6 slip road to the A14 eastbound
Reason : Road Management
Time To Clear : The event is expected to clear between 12:30 and 12:45 on 15 May 2019
Return To Normal : Normal traffic conditions are expected between 12:30 and 12:45 on 15 May 2019
Lanes Closed : Lane 1 ClosedLane 2 ClosedLane 3 Closed

If information from various FB groups is correct, a tipper on the EB carriageway crossed the central barrier and hit another truck on the WB carriageway head on

Any day with a Y in and the A14 will be closed somewhere.

Was up and down that stretch six (yes, six! :unamused: ) times yesterday.

Thank heavens I’m tucked away in Scotland out the way today lol

must have happened right behind me , i was going past there around 6:20

Local news reporting it as a “crossover” incident resulting in head-on collision between two lorries. One driver dead at scene, other died later in hospital.

Has Conor been on today?

Two sets of…

Family and friends who will never see these drivers again.

Absolute tragedy.

RIP.

I thought conor was off the road again with his back probs toonsy. I may be wrong. but I know what your thinking, lets hope not.

I didnt see it happen as it was about 1/2 a mile ahead of me. I was west bound and when I reached the scene it was total carnage. I had a feeling that no one could of got out alive.
We will never know the circumstances about what started the chain of events, but it highlights how quickly things can go wrong.
Condolences to the families for their loss.

Sent using smoke signals

That’s so sad, thoughts and prayers to the families, what company was that artic?
Looks like a bird on the back

Sploom:
That’s so sad, thoughts and prayers to the families, what company was that artic?
Looks like a bird on the back

Howdens…

The picture that Chrisenglish posted is quite horrific in its hard hitting simplicity. I don’t know what the tipper driving was doing immediately prior to the crossover so I couldn’t comment. I do know with almost total certainty that the Howdens driver will have been doing absolutely everything by the book and driving properly when suddenly BANG he’s not going home again. There but for the grace of God etc…

Rip both drivers.

ChrisEnglish90:

the maoster:
The picture that Chrisenglish posted is quite horrific in its hard hitting simplicity. I don’t know what the tipper driving was doing immediately prior to the crossover so I couldn’t comment. I do know with almost total certainty that the Howdens driver will have been doing absolutely everything by the book and driving properly when suddenly BANG he’s not going home again. There but for the grace of God etc…

Rip both drivers.

Quite agree, shocking to think the howdens could of been any one of us… I regularly use the a14 as probably lots here do. But I’ve also been in the position where I’ve been so tired. Fortunately I’ve been able to pull over and wake myself up! But if the tipper has a medical issue then I feel so sorry for the both. It looks as if the white tipper drove over the top of the barrier just flattening it! Looks like the howdens driver slammed his brakes hard and tried to move out of the way! Just a shame neither got to see their family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is part of the reason why despite the years it takes I’m happy to see concrete central reservations being installed up and down motorways to reduce chances of this happening.

I drove past that point today where the accident happened, the crash barrier is still there, it’s only slightly dented, the tipper somehow mounted the barrier then, without doing it much damage.

Wasn’t it a couple of years ago where a Morrisons artic mounted the concrete central reservation on the M1

the maoster:
The
Rip both drivers.

I know that the Howdens driver was jogging along nice and steady between thraspton and Kettering, because I moved over at thraspton to allow him room to join the 14, he passed me down the hill towards the Corby exit, and put his hand up to me in thanks as he did so I acknowledged him back as proper driver’s do. Then I was following him at a steady 54 mph not gaining on him or he pulling away from me. I stopped at BP Kettering for deisel, took about 10 or 15 minutes. Got going again to arrive at short queue of traffic, then to be confronted by that scene of total devastation. Several people obviously those present at the moment of the accident were moving around the scene so I kept going.
I don’t often get phased by seeing the aftermath of accidents, as driver’s we see so many, but I I’ll admit this one has played on mind a bit this week, I rang my Mrs once I’d passed the scene.

RIP to the driver’s, a total tragedy.

My thoughts go to the family and friends of both guys.

peirre:
Wasn’t it a couple of years ago where a Morrisons artic mounted the concrete central reservation on the M1

I remember there was an artic just the a421 turn off, the cab ended near the top of the overhead gantry, once he’d crossed over the central reservation.

It’s played on my mind too, probably because he’s doing the same job as us, driving down the same road, and then just suddenly everything is taken away in a few seconds, it’s hard to make any sense of it.