DOW FREIGHT SERVICES (1970's/80's)

Hi Chris, these are the only two Bowker photos that I took some time around 1982 ish going up Mont Blanc so you might of seen them somewhere on here before. I was running with one of our drivers called Jim Smethurst who had married a girl from Accrington. Jim used to work with one of these Bowker drivers at Bradley’s who he called Jag Joe.
We had all shared a table the night before at The Bakehouse and when I asked Jim why he had called him Jag Joe he told me that Joe used to have a Jaguar which he had managed to put a diesel engine in. It must have been very economical to run being a lorry driver so I just wondered Chris if Jag Joe worked at Hollin Bridge Street while you were there.
I have been trying to find the exact location on Google Earth of where I took those photos but the road has changed, I certainly don’t remember going through any tunnels around the Cerdon area although I bet that all the lads that went over The Blanc on their way to Italy will remember The Monument To The French Resistance.

google.com/maps/@46.0710785 … 312!8i6656

tourdetravoy.wordpress.com/hist … d-war-2-2/

Hi Keith, I have been thinking about the post that you made regarding the Sealink ship, The Cambridge Ferry. I thought that Sealink sailed out of Dover Western Docks but as you have mentioned that it sailed out of Dover Eastern Docks between March and December 1987 I wonder if was being used to help out Townsend Thoreson after the loss of The Herald Of Free Enterprise.
Peggy, there was a mention and a photo of Big Alex Christie on one of Rattlesnake Dave’s posts a few years ago which you might find interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15072&p=171361#p171361

Regards Steve.