Astran / Middle East Drivers

These past few pages have certainly revived my memories or that once in a lifetime era, my trips to the middle east were a wonderous affair, never knew what was around the next corner, the sights I looked at in awe, as i had never encountered anything like it…from the communist buildings all so drab, to the wonderful mosques en route. I met many great drivers, but must admit I only ever stopped to help someone out, but preferred running alone, the truck stops were few and far between, but I did stop at many…where I was glad to find other brits having a good time. I remember driving through Ezerum and Erzincan in Turkey, and there were stories of a German driver who had a serious accident, must have been the one Kurt mentioned, but only heard that there had been an accident. Of course, there were many accidents en route, but mostly they were foreign drivers, never heard too much about the Brits, although some of them were crazy, especially the newbies or the new owner drivers, remember one new Irishman with his pea-green Kenworth, wrote it off in a field, in Rumo, after being told not to drive at night…the same as when leaving the mo-camp at night, was told not to do it…but Geoff Ruggings was my mentor on my first trip and I did listen and take notice. my only regret was not having a camera, but I did have an 8 track and lots of music…ha ha …many thanks for reviving my memories. I wonder what it would be like doing one more trip, but with a new modern vehicle, with air suspension, aircon, night heater, etc, etc…although I do part of the journey every year to my other home in Bulgaria by car, and its jaw-dropping to see the many changes, but I love every minute of my time there, I even married a BG ( 30 years now ) and 5 girls between us all grown up…we met when I owned my own truck and was subbing for Lawrabian after working for ROY for a long time went alone…anyway had some great times and met many good drivers along the way.