Any old promotor drivers around

Jeff Stringfellow flew back into Tehran at the height of the Iranian Revolution late 78 on one of the last flights before the airport was closed as it was to dangerous for airlines to fly there. His mission was to retrieve a Arthur G Evison MAN that had been left there by, I assume, another driver who left in a hurry. Unfortunately, by the time Jeff got there the lorry had been shot up and couldn’t be saved. He was now in a very dangerous position unable to get out of Tehran. He was looked after by two Iranian men until the British Embassy helped him escape.

The first photo shows the two men who looked after Jeff. The remainder of the photos show the extent of damage done to the Davies Turner complex and surrounding buildings after they were ransacked by the Iranian mobs.

For those who are sceptical of his exploits please bear in mind the camera never lies. We have a pictorial record from August 78 through to March 79. From the trip he took his family to Tehran to the trip when I met him in Volos. I found Jeff to be a quiet honest and helpful guy who when he told me of some of his exploits wasn’t boasting just giving me the facts.

I thank Jason, his son, for providing much of the information as well as the photos for these posts. There are still more general photos in Jason’s possession. I will post them shortly. If there are any glaring mistakes or omissions Jason please feel free to put the record straight.