Starting again at 64!

Tj916:
sawadee khap granpa.
I returned from deepest Issaaann… 18 months ago with license expired after living in LOS for five years.
As others have said you only need a medical to get your license back.
DVLC do a live chat which I found very helpful if you have any questions.
As for your DCPC the benefits agency paid for mine. It was a week of getting back to work skills first aid, health and safety interview skills CV writing etc and then the week for CPC.
I was dreading the two weeks in a classroom but I did learn some useful stuff and my new employer was impressed with the certificates they provided.
If you didn’t already know you won’t be able to claim any benefits for 3 months as you have been out of the UK for too long.

Chock Dee and good luck.

Greetings fellow wanderer. :slight_smile: We’re just north of Sattahip on the Eastern Seaboard, but my other half is from Buriram. Actually, I spent more time in Northern China than I have here, but that’s beside the point. It’s not the LOS anymore, the recession has hit hard and immigration is really tightening up now.

I’m on a marriage visa so I’m taking the required bank deposit of 400K back with me as I already know I’d fail the ‘habitual residency’ requirements. Strange that, as no one was complaining when I served in the forces, or paid tax and NI for decades. Still, I’ll get my revenge. When I die I’m coming back as a black, one-legged lesbian and I’ll milk the system dry! :stuck_out_tongue:

If I’m not entitled to benefits, would they still put me through a return to work program and pay for my CPC? That sounds like a good deal. The classroom rote and memorization part wouldn’t worry me – see my resume link at the top of the page. I wouldn’t be able to put a UK vocational resume together after all these years, but an idea I have is to write to some of the companies I used to work for. Obviously, they won’t remember me, but they might still have records of me having worked there which I can use as a reference to show I’m not a newbie. It’ll be strange coming back after all these years away, but I look at it as just another way to earn money so I can return later when I reach pension age, or my health declines.