Starting again at 64!

hutpik:
Ok,your choice.I just thought if you wanted to work for a few months to supplement pension,like i do,then there are many possibilities.I am on pension so only work for a couple of months in the summer here,but if i work 3 nights x 11hrs i clear over £700,so dont have to work so much each year.
I have a mate here,also English who goes as 2nd driver with the Norwegian fish trucks.He gets £300 to drive from North Sweden to Stockholm [10hrs]and then gets the train back[paid for]

A bit of a mix up I think. I’m not looking to supplement a pension because I’m not on one yet. Or to save up and have a blow out every year. When you emigrate to a developing country there is no welfare, or free medical care and the immigration authorities lay down conditions for residency. One of those conditions is that you must have a certain amount static in a bank account in that country which you can’t spend. Another is that you must have a certain amount of income available every month without being dependent on others. At the moment I satisfy those requirements, but in another couple of years I won’t.

The objective is to save enough so that when I do retire and come back here I can top up the UK pension with savings. As the cost of living here is three to four times less than the UK, a pension of £100 pw and a top up from savings of an equal amount, plus owning our home here, would be comparable to you having a pension of £600/800 a week and accommodation already paid for. That satisfies immigration requirements and gives me a good standard of living for the rest of my life. So, £40K saved in two to three years and that’s me finished.

Re: Your Swedish trucker mate. There are a few Swedes and Germans where I live. Next time you talk to him ask him how much tax he pays on that! :slight_smile: