Starting again at 64!

Franglais:

Grandpa:
First I have to choose a location on arrival and book a hotel. Good God, have you seen the prices for British hotels? You’d need a mortgage to have a holiday in the UK! Then quickly get a room so that I have a UK address and can start renewing my licence …

Motorhome? Buy a reasonable one and you are both mobile and have a bed. Some chance of it holding its value for a resale too, but all 2nd hand vehicles carry risk, and hotel rooms are dead money. Possible to chase jobs around too if necessary. Youll still need a permanent address to reg said vehicle and get a new licence though.

Before I decided on this Franglais I sat down and had a good think about it. I’m fit and healthy, but I know my limitations. I’m not likely to be able to manage the stress of multi-drops. Nor am I going to handball the contents of containers, or tramp for five nights a week, or for that matter want to sleep on a lay by. At 64 those days are over.

I could manage four on four off tramping and realistically I’m also looking at trunking with the large stores through an agency. So a hotel for the minimum period possible and immediately start looking for a small basic room in shop ads and the local newspaper. Nothing fancy, as long as it’s secure. That takes care of the address and accommodation, do the medical for the licence, plus CPC (maybe some ADR) and hope for the best.