Starting again at 64!

hutpik:
Hi Grandpa.My post was not aimed at the 'alkis’and other types of dross,but in relation to several old ME colleagues and\or Swedes rom up her who are married to Thais or have just re-located for their old age.As i said some of my old mates[like me]worked for somewhat '‘dubious’'co in the past so have limited pensions.Like the guys here,and myself,if i work for 2 months in the summer here i make between 5-10k so can spread that over the Winter to supplement pension.Several guys do that and take the Money to Thailand.

There are Swedes here where I live and a couple of Germans, but as they’re not ‘native English speakers’ they don’t get employed. What they do is work in their home countries, buy a house here and use it as a holiday home till they retire. It all depends on age for we older ones though. One day the eyesight starts to go or the arthritis sets in and all those good times count for nothing if you’ve no savings and can no longer work. Even in the UK, I don’t think life on a British pension would be something to look forward to.

Due to working abroad a lot, my pension is around 4/5th of the maximum, so not enough to retire on and the savings go towards topping it up monthly as if you’re an expat in Thailand pensions don’t rise with inflation. I think we have the lowest state pension in Europe. The cost of living here is up to four times as cheap as the UK so your pound goes a lot further, but all currencies are now taking a beating.

First I have to choose a location on arrival and book a hotel. Good God, have you seen the prices for British hotels? You’d need a mortgage to have a holiday in the UK! :open_mouth: Then quickly get a room so that I have a UK address and can start renewing my licence …