Sat Navs

Tseal:
My point is it didn’t warn me of a oncoming bridge down the lane and the option to turn around was in somebodies drive

Its job isn’t to warn you of bridges, but to find what appears in its maps as a suitable route. Theres no “low bridge ahead” warning signs that flash up.

As mentioned earlier, it doesn’t know one road from another in terms of size, so like all these units it figures it from the type of road and makes an educated guess.

If it told you to turn round then it figured there wasn’t a way through as its very rare for Tomtom’s at least to do that. I had a Garmin fitted to a truck at one time which regularly did that (kindof hard in a 40 foot artic).

They do odd things from time to time like on the way to our Bradford depot, it tells me to go down a tiny back street packed with cars (no room even for a van). Eyeball v1 says no way and carries on until it figures a better option.

One thing to watch with Tomtom is it can switch to car routes if theres no HGV option, although it will tell you.