DOW FREIGHT SERVICES (1970's/80's)

Hi Keith, thanks for the info and now you have just reminded me of another port that I had forgotten about, Dover Western Docks where the Sealink Ferries usually used to sail from. :smiley:
The trouble is that now I can’t remember if I sailed from Dover to Ostend or Dunkirk to Dover but I do remember going on to the lower deck and that there was a train parked there.
For many years I thought that it was The Orient Express but I found out a couple of years ago that it was in fact a train that was called The Golden Arrow that ran from London to Paris and it might of connected to The Orient Express, maybe somebody will know.
I never put any dates on my photos so you are correct to say that the photo was taken in 1987 as Dow finished not too long after that and if you look at the first photo, Dover Docks 1 you might just be able to make out my truck parked next to the lamp post on the right hand side.
The four of us were stuck weekending in Dover so instead of spending the day in The Albion or The East Cliff Hotel we decided to go for a walk along the cliff tops. I wonder how many more drivers actually made the effort to do something like that. :laughing:
It was quite interesting walking along the tops as we came across a couple of old world war two observation posts and what looked like old anti aircraft gun emplacements and it certainly was bloody windy up there. :astonished:
I can’t remember the names of this Dow driver from the Swindon depot and his wife but we had quite a good week end.

Did you work for Tom and Jerry ?
They used to park up by The Prater Stadium in Vienna where most of the Western European trucks used to park up and at The Saint Valentine Hotel which was about half way between Salzburg and Vienna. I was once weekended with one of their drivers in Vienna called Mick, he was a good laugh was Mick. :laughing:

Saint Valentine Hotel, Austria. 1980.

Saint Valentine, Austria. 2014.

Regards Steve.