Did you miss me?

In my opinion, I don’t think it is as straight forward as just offering those things to attract “good drivers”. Sure it is important but the guys may not apply anyway

I have known drivers who don’t damage equipment, extremely skillful, didnt complain and regularly self sacrificed for the company interests with a fierce loyalty, irrespective that the company did not pay the best, offer the best equipment or return the same loyalty. To this day, I have driver names I hold in the highest regard and feel sad that they could do so much better.

Why ?, I think it is the complex human condition, either a fear/ dislike of change, a pride with the company name regardless, (bit like car brand loyalty perhaps) etc etc for example i think of killingbecks in blackburn, they were running difficult to,drive 20 year old borderers with planks or rabbit hutch sleepers, roping and sheeting, and not the best payers by a mile into the 90’s yet still had drivers who had worked for them for 20+ years. My intention here is not to slap them down as I never worked for them, but make an industry comparison. Likewise, although admittibly more complex, the same could be said for the past opportunities to emigrate to canada vs the uk, despite on balance and on paper it could be proved that the standard of living in canada/disposible wage for the average working man is way higher…

I think NMM has a lot to offer, he has a pride in his reputation, very well known in industry, extremely experienced in the job, has a geniune passion for trucking, offers first class equipment, and due to the aforementioned I suspect would reciprocate loyalty. He would not be the highest payer but would be fair given he is not a big player and only a sub contractor. I would have worked for him in a heartbeat but then again perhaps I’m may probably not be " a good driver" in his or your eyes, there is subjectivity in what that is too. Small companies can sometimes offer that certain “family” experience that big companies can only dream of and the pay is not the " be all and end all".

I wish him, and companies like him, every success in getting the drivers they need