Astran / Middle East Drivers

TAHIR and the mountainous interior of Turkey

This is the question I have been trying to solve since 1984:

The following year, Johan and Gunter must have been doing more convoys from Munich to Afghanistan.

Ahmed spoke to the Afghans on that convoy, an eye-witness.

He said that Gunter saw a sheet of ice ahead of him on the road but could not stop the truck in time. The truck slid on the ice and went over the precipice.

It appears that Johan rescued Gunter but Gunter was severely injured: He could not move his legs. The witness stated that Gunter lived for eleven hours but then he died.

Does any driver know of a specific area where this might have happened ? A specific point ?

The eye-witness said ‘Ezerum mountain’

In the even of a driver being severely injured what would have happened ? Was it possible to call an ambulance ?

Would Johan have just pulled him into the cab and driven onwards ?

Were there any hospitals if so in which direction and how far time/distance away ?

Gunter died that much is certain. When a driver was killed was it possible to re-patriate the body or were there instances of drivers being buried there ?

Was there any paperwork procedure ? Embassy notification ? Gunter lived in West Germany by then so German consulate Ankara might have something.

I have put up plenty of maps of the Ankara-Gurbulak section. Any which you cannot load email me and I will send them to you.

Any help on this much appreciated.

Does any driver know of any foreign webboards which deal with ME overland ? Someone might recognise my photographs there.