Peak District.

Sniffy:
Windrush - thanks for the reply

I’m told the stone/aggregate is imported, UK or abroad, and Kevin is one of only a few quarries producing what it does, very well kept site, I’m sure the JCB testing/demonstrating area helps keep this place open. Lots of heavy machinery running round with happy smiley operators in the driving seats testing kit out

As far back as I can recall, 1975, Kevin quarry was used by JCB as a proving ground. I did many loads from there when I drove for Tilcon/STB Transport, both tarmac and dry stone, and it was very busy at one time. A lot of limestone powders were supplied from there as well. However when Tarmac later managed it Cauldon Low quarry was only a short distance away so a lot of the work was done from there instead. It was always a rather ‘laid back’ quarry compared to Ballidon and very rough to travel over with a truck, loading was rather slow at times and nobody ever seemed in a rush to do anything! :laughing: Mick (Malmic) had a truck in there for a long while but eventually the work died off and it came to Ballidon quarry. I’m guessing (Mick will probably know as he worked for a few more years after I finished) that the stone stocks have run low now as the abandoned Wredon quarry (once McAlpines/ Redland/ United Gravel) practically joined up with Kevin and there was nowhere else to quarry for fresh stone? Also, regarding the coated stone, granite is used far more nowadays so it would have to be brought in from elsewhere anyway, probably from Bayston Hill near Shrewsbury and Harden Quarry in the North East for the red coloured tarmac?

Pete.