DOW FREIGHT SERVICES (1970's/80's)

sandway:
Cant make out the Dow reg from this photo or the location!

Well done Sandway, that photo has been driving me mad for years and now I am certain that I finally know where it was taken. :smiley:
When I first joined Trucknet that photo was already on the site but I have no idea who posted it. Straight away when I saw it I knew that I had been there some thirty years before but where was it. :confused:
I recognised the man in the photo, it was another Dow driver called Anthony Massey but Tony as far as I could remember drove a Ford Transcontinental and the photo shows Billy Jones M.A.N. registration number NNF 422W with his Liverpool F.C. sticker in the window with what could of been Billy in the driving seat so where was Tony’s Transcon, I presumed that it was just off the photo.
So I wondered which docks would you find four British trucks parked up and I went through all the docks in the U.K. and non of them that I could think of resembled the photo.
When you reposted it the other day it got me started again going through all the docks that I had visited over the years. It was only when I took a closer look at that pile of rubbish and thought that some of those boxes look like those Bolser wood boxes that they used to keep fish in, then the penny finally dropped after all these years and I thought, how ever did I forget that one, it’s The Fish Market in Hamburg. :smiley: :smiley:
It was a favourite parking place for all the Brit drivers who were delivering around the Hamburg area, it was also the place where you parked up if you were shipping back on the Hamburg to Harwich Prinz Line Ferries. Yes, you could say it was much better than parking around Aldgate and The Red Lion. :laughing:
I have tried putting on the Google Earth link so I hope that it works.

google.com/maps/@53.5463861 … 312!8i6656

I hardly recognised the place, I bet that they won’t let you park a forty foot tilt or fridge trailer there now as it looks like a parking place for travelling motorhomes.

Tony Massey was a great lad and as far as I can remember he was always very professional at what he did. He left Dow a couple of years after I had joined them and sometime later he became an owner driver doing continental runs.
I don’t know who put this photo on of Tony’s Scania so the credit goes to them.

image.jpg

Sean Morbey used to post on here as Uncle Plug but he has not been on for over two years now. He used to run out of the Swindon depot as he lived somewhere around there. In fact I am not sure if he was an ex Radclive driver as he certainly knew most of them.
I remember meeting him with Derick Robbo at the Mocamp once, that must of been about 1986 ish and I have never heard about that accident in Italy. I bet that he lost his accident free bonus for that year.