Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

windrush:
Yes, an early Morris Commercial LC. Worked on a few of those and still many around, Morris built a quality product.

Pete.

They certainly did, I owned a wartime military version, 4x4, knobbly tyres, and roof hatch for the gunner. :laughing:

It was a recovery truck, had a straight 6 petrol engine, 12 volt system with 2 giant 6 volt batteries full length across the chassis behind the cab. Always started first turn in the coldest of weather, pulled like a train but without power steering or brakes was a bugger to turn or stop. On a slope it was necessary to pull the handbrake full on and then straight leg the brake pedal while bracing my back against the back of the cab, to have any hope of stopping.

Bought at auction for 65 quid and sold 4 years later for the same amount. Not being a mechanic I wanted to be able to work on it, so bought a WD manual for it for 65 quid. Still got it as the bloke who bought the machine refused to pay for the book.

As the War Department thought that all squaddies were mechanically stupid, every possible repair was described in the minutest detail, which allowed even me to take the gear and transfer boxes apart and service them. :laughing: