Favorite Routiers and other European Truckstops

Spardo:
We have discussed here, with sadness, the closing of routiers here and there. Chez Jo at Hautvillers, Lauriere near Perigueux etc. But also the re-opening of some after long closures, La Loge north of Vierzon and Negrondes between Limoges and Perigueux and even a brand new build, mentioned above, La Grotte at Vierzon itself.

But last week I was really taken aback. I had often seen the large building surrounded by its large park at Distre just south of Saumur on the D 347 but never stopped overnight there until a year or so ago. A clean and friendly place and the meal was not too shabby either.
This was it back in August last year, between mealtimes, obviously.

And now in March this year:

Yes, just a great big space, totally demolished. :open_mouth: You can see the only remains, on the far left of the last picture.
No idea why, it was a fairly modern building and in good nick. So is it to be rebuilt, or will the whole site be used for something else? I think I know the answer. :frowning:

Came past it last December Dave, was already closed by then… was discussing with my pilot if we would be able to reach that one within the driving hours, to stay on the legal side of things we’ve stopped at the other one, few clicks further up north at the roundabout, is a proper place as well.

Cheers, Patrick