Shunting and Tachos

cav551:
The tacho will display driving with no card if the vehicle has been moved. If a driver then does not cancel that before putting his card in then it will appear on his print out. I have instructions to do just that for the rare occasions when any driving I do is not exempt from using my card.

It will display “Driving Without Card” on the VU display, and it will be flagged as such when the VU is downloaded and subsequently analysed. But it won’t appear on any driver’s card. In common with a good many places, our vehicles are moved on and off the loading bays with no card every single night. No-one (including me) bothers to cancel the Information message before inserting their cards, none of us (including me) have ever had an infringement for “Driving Without Card” and it doesn’t appear on any printout I make.

As others have said, the operator needs to keep tabs on such unaccounted-for running, but everyone (including DVSA) accepts that a couple of kilometres shunting without a card in the yard is perfectly normal.