Artic Trailer MOT Related Questions

Hi, this may be an odd question, and not right for this forum or board, so feel free to advise where better to post it.

Background:
I am looking prospective platforms for building a tiny-home at some point in the future. One of the key features of a true tiny home is it is not a permanent structure and it requires the ability for it to be able to be moved when required. For this reason one of the platforms I am considering is an artic trailer, however when looking them up on eBay I have discovered they need an MOT certificate, which I had previously not known. As I am not from a trucking background what I want to know is a little information about the MOT for artic trailers as although the trailer / home will live most of its life in one place once in a while I may need to move it to a new location.

Questions:
Q1a. I assume if I want the trailer moved on public roads it will need an MOT?
Q1b. If so is this still applicable of the trailer is moved by a agricultural tractor with a fith wheel dolly?.

Q2. How long do trailer MOTs run for?

Q3. Where can I get an artic trailer MOT’d? I assume a normal car station will not be able to perform this.

Q4. If the MOT expires can it still be towed on public roads to get a new MOT?

Q5. What are the most common MOT failures for artic trailers? Especially those trailers which have done very few miles since their last MOT? For example would it be seized brakes, perished tyres? Chassis rot?

Is there any more MOT related things I’d need to be aware of if I chose an artic trailer as a platform for a tiny home. Please excuse me if these questions are a bit “noddy”, but I don’t have any knowledge / experience with artic trailers. Depending upon the response I get from this question I may have further questions relating to specific trailer type suitability and such like.

Any information appreciated. Thanks in advance

BR,
Dib.

MOT is yearly and MOT is done at same place as trucks are
I can’t answer the rest of your questions as I’m only a driver

blue estate:

Well thank you, for the information you have been able to provide. :smiley:

dibley1973:

blue estate:

Well thank you, for the information you have been able to provide. :smiley:

If you need to check a trailer MOT you go on GOV.co.uk and put in the trailer reg number on plate

blue estate:
If you need to check a trailer MOT you go on GOV.co.uk and put in the trailer reg number on plate

Excellent, similar to checking cars in that aspect then. Thank you.