The HGV MOT Test, my experiences!

Actually, even though I suddenly found myself on a friday afternoon in 1984 being employed on the monday as a driver instead of a fitter which was rather unexpected but pleasing, I did have one more vehicle to take for annual test. This was in 1997 with my last new Foden, P207 AJU, when STB Transport were running the tipper fleet that had previously been Tilcon’s. It was due for it’s first test and, even though Derby test centre was still in operation, the ‘gaffer’ chose to send it and it’s sister vehicle (P 208 AJU driven by Ray Gould) to A.M Bells Haulage depot near Macclesfield. Why I know not as it cost more, although I believe the thinking was that there would be someone on site at Bell’s to carry out any repairs needed? Anyway our fitters prepared it, I loaded it with 20 tonnes of 10mm for Marshall Mono at Cannock Wood and off I went. Of course these ‘satellite’ test centres didn’t have a tester on site but one came out from the Bredbury (Stockport) centre for the day. He had a good look around it, clouted a few nuts and tested the brakes and passed it. Off I went to Cannock and could hear something rattling underneath! :confused: Turning the radio up cured that, I returned to the quarry after tipping and ran it over the pit to find the front axle U bolts jingling about! :unamused: While a fitter tightened them I went to the office and handed my notice in, a couple of weeks later, after 22 years, I was gone! :laughing: Thank’s for reading my ramblings! :wink:

Pete.