Buses, coaches, & lorries

Retired Old ■■■■:

gazzer:
I don’t very often go by bus these days but last week, to save my daughter collecting me from Fareham railways station, I caught the bus to Gosport.
This single decker of 2016 vintage was horrendously noisy, not only from the engine/hydraulic gearbox but the clunking etc of the chassis.
How do bus builders get away with it? Surely better sound insulation from the rear mounted drivetrain would be possible?
I reckon my 1980 F12 was quieter by far!
The gearbox was the producer of most of the noise!

I. too, am a rare customer of local bus services, but usually find myself hopping on one of Arriva’s puddle=jumpers when I’m feeling a bit lazy. Although the things are reasonably new (compared to the 20-year old Bristols that served in my youth) they are so noisy and uncomfortable that you’d be forgiven for presuming that they are pre war. Rear suspension is non-existent, the gearbox and/or the final drive shreaks like a banshee and the drivers, to a man, sorry, PERSON, are apparently trained not to even acknowledge the passengers, let alone speak to them.
Come back, oily, your country needs you! :wink:

I too have had occasion to use what is left of the local bus service into and from Bridgwater.
The vehicles operated by First Something or Other are Wright bodied Volvos and the ride is atrocious, while most of the noise seems to emanate from seats,body panels, grab rails and the roof. OK so i am biased, but i certainly do not remember Birmingham standards being so noisy and uncomfortable.
One small plus point perhaps saw a First Kernow Bus putting in a appearance in the shape of a Wright bodied Scania .This seemed to ride better than the Volvos and the acceleration was frankly astonishing. oh and the different livery made a nice change.