Honda set to shut swindon factory

Franglais:

kcrussell25:

Franglais:

rearaxle:
I wonder out off the 3500 workforce how many will go for HGV as a retraining package…I remember Michelin tyres doing it for their workers when the uk plants shut.

With car transporter drivers, and Honda component supply drivers, sat at home twiddling their thumbs, do you reckon that’d be much of a plan?

To add. The three and a half thousand Honda jobs ain’t the half of it.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

So what’s a better plan to earn £30k a year without lots of time off to train for a trade? Especially if the company will pay for it.

I was made redundant and I know 2 others I worked with who were made redundant after me who now drive. I also know 4 others who were not made redundant who said if they were they were planning to learn to drive. Drivers complain about the hours but they are better than we did in retail. They are probably not as good as honda factory hours (no idea what they do) but with bills to pay driving suddenly looks attractive

Much as I enjoy a good moan, I’ve done OK from driving, and am still fairly happy doing it.
Is it better than retail? I readily take your word for it.
The way it seems to be going is that the job is becoming more “compartmentilized”. One driver does collections, another trunks it, another does the delivery. All cab hopping, and being micro-managed. That doesn’t appeal to me.
And as it becomes more regular, 're hours and skills, I reckon the pay will correspond more to the average. Isn’t this happening already?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I did 62 hours duty last week which is comparable to what I used to work. The 27 hours of break isn’t though. No phone calls and emails once finished. No problems as just phone the office and make it theirs (that’s what they want). No weekends either.

I have only been driving 18 months so can’t compare to the “old days” but even regular pay for 50 plus hours a week is an improvement on a low hour contact on the shop floor or a 39 hour salary (working 60) with the hassle that comes with management. Also as the minimum wage starts going up hourly rate wise I was on little more than shop floor staff for the hours I worked.

It’s probably not as good as you could get as a sparky or gas fitter etc but the time out required to train and get the experience to reach £30k plus a year isn’t realstic for a lot who have a family and bills to pay