Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

gingerfold:

windrush:

gingerfold:

Froggy55:
Which engine was fitted on the Mammoth Major in 1934? Was it a 92 bhp 7.6 litres diesel?

That particular Mammoth Major has a AEC 6-cylinder petrol engine. It is also the very first factory built eight-wheeler into service, that is why it’s owned by the Science Museum. There might have been earlier eight-wheelers in service by a few weeks but they were rough conversions of six-wheelers with a fourth axle fitted. The 1933 Construction and Use Regs. allowed four axle rigids for the first time. Sentinel also built some eight wheeler steam waggons at the same time. Leyland and ERF quickly followed AEC into the eight-wheeler market.

I was thinking that it had a petrol engine as it looks like an oil cooler underneath which I don’t think the diesels had?

Pete.

Laurence Pomeroy, a well known automotive industry figure, had quite a lot of input into AEC’s 1920s petrol engine development. A joint AEC and Daimler venture was set up in 1926 and Pomeroy was recruited as a development engineer by Percy Martin. Pomeroy started his career as a railway engineer and he moved to Vauxhall in 1905. After Associated Daimler was ended in 1929 Pomeroy went to Daimler. He also worked for Alcoa for a time on the development of aluminium alloy engine components such as pistons. He’s recognised as being very influential in engine development. The AEC petrol engine was / is as quiet as any contemporary luxury car engine from that era.

A E Evans had a MK3 parked up at Barking in 1969,it had the 7.7 engine and two stick box. I can’t remember the reg number but I’m almost sure it was pre war.I think the 7.7 engine option was dropped just after the war.Maybe Graham can tell me?