Smart motoways

google.com/url?sa=t&source= … LW&ampcf=1

malcolmgbell:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/105510/no-more-smart-motorways-say-mps%3Famp&ved=2ahUKEwjnh5LnoLbgAhVtQxUIHWDPAOkQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0bXvDUICDlQWOP83o7kALW&ampcf=1

I know its 2018 but it was on the news today

introducing systems that detect stationary vehicles

So what are they relying on at the moment? A minimum wage screen-viewer hopefully actually watching the screen and not outside on ■■■ break or ‘bantering’ with the next desk?

The minutes and seconds after a vehicle becomes stationary are crucial.

Why is a smart motorway any less safe than if your coming up the A1 and breakdown in the lane?

If smart motorways aren’t safe due to there being no hard shoulder then we should also close all non motorway sections of the A1, A14, A19, and any other dual carriageway A road there is as they are 70mph running with nothing more than lay-bys if you break down.

I think it’s just the usual story of everyone likes to moan at change.

I’ve noticed recently that in the hours of darkness, and this might just be coincidence because it’s mornings i use it, that on the M6 West Mids section the hard shoulder has not been a running lane.

This i have found a more comfortable way to travel and i think would possibly be a good compromise, to only allow live left lane running in the hours of daylight.
Course you still get the half wits who are incapable of working out whether its live lane or not :unamused: but Darwinism will probably sift those in due course,

In unlit sections such as M1 16 to 20, it would be quite terrifying to break down, especially in a car where you might have kids strapped into child seats or less able bodied driver/passengers who would otherwise leap out and be out of harms way in seconds, but would instead be stuck there waiting for some bloody parcel wagon on auto pilot to clean them up.

And just about to be on Sky news…

The minister that introduced them, said it is time to have a rethink.

You couldn’t make this ■■■■ up.

Ken.

Juddian:
I’ve noticed recently that in the hours of darkness, and this might just be coincidence because it’s mornings i use it, that on the M6 West Mids section the hard shoulder has not been a running lane.

This i have found a more comfortable way to travel and i think would possibly be a good compromise, to only allow live left lane running in the hours of daylight.
Course you still get the half wits who are incapable of working out whether its live lane or not :unamused: but Darwinism will probably sift those in due course,

In unlit sections such as M1 16 to 20, it would be quite terrifying to break down, especially in a car where you might have kids strapped into child seats or less able bodied driver/passengers who would otherwise leap out and be out of harms way in seconds, but would instead be stuck there waiting for some bloody parcel wagon on auto pilot to clean them up.

Make you right there.

Is there anyone that would actually prefer to go back to 3 lane running at peak times on the M6 through the Wolverhampton, Walsall, wednesbury area? Would anyone like to go back to 3 lane running around Leeds, Bradford and batley at peak times? Etc etc

DickyNick:
Why is a smart motorway any less safe than if your coming up the A1 and breakdown in the lane?

If smart motorways aren’t safe due to there being no hard shoulder then we should also close all non motorway sections of the A1, A14, A19, and any other dual carriageway A road there is as they are 70mph running with nothing more than lay-bys if you break down.

I think it’s just the usual story of everyone likes to moan at change.

The fact is, whenever there is or was a breakdown on a motorway with a hard shoulder the whole motorway didn’t grind to a halt like it does now.
Now, whenever there is a incident outside a refuge it turns into a major ordeal, speed restrictions for miles before, cones, delays, vehicles jostling for positions etc

But surely for all the time there is no incident which I imagine if we got some official data in terms of a percentage of time traffic flows freely and percentage of time it doesn’t due to an incident over a 24 hour period then I’m sure we are better off having 4 running lanes rather than 3.

The problem is not smart motorways but unsmart drivers