Brexit again!

adam277:
I know I know but I will keep this to a specific point.

Has anyone noticed a lack of jobs to the brexit uncertainty? Seems to me its all the same.

Also as hgv drivers do you think we might be able to leverage brexit to demand more money if it turns out we will be even more in demand?

Basically how do you think this is going to effect us.

My personal opinion is assuming no delay on brexit then April 1St will be a good time to be a truck driver on the job market.
I think this because whatever the outcome the status quo will change and any change in law means companies will find opportunities to make money which wasn’t possible before.

Just to repeat this is about how leaving the EU relates to hgv drivers and if it will help us.

Wages on agency - seem to be rising sharply. Those full timers who wouldn’t even look at the possibility of ever working for an agency - won’t have noticed.
If wages within their full time job remain stagnant, then shush! - don’t tap the glass! :wink:

I would agree with your notion that April 1st this year will be an EXCELLENT time to be at least an agency driver, who will always be the front line when it comes to market forces acting upwardly upon a driver’s hourly rate…

If there are riots because Brexit isn’t done by March 29th - then rates might rise even faster - because you’ll be expected to run gauntlets all over the country, it could be said. :open_mouth:

I got made redundant from my full time post last october. I joined three agencies at that time. One gave me zippo work to date.

The other two - were giving me £18ph and £19.48ph respectively. I’ve just chucked in my £18ph agency job, because they wanted me to sign a 1 hour contract to replace my outgoing zero hours contract. This would oblige me to do at least one shift a week for them, meaning I could be forced under contractual obligation to ditch a shift already given to me by the other agency paying the higher rate.
I’ve been flat out so far this year, NO quiet month of January for me. Indeed, the run-up to Christmas only had me doing 2-3 shifts per week. Now it is consistently 40+ hours over 4 or 5 shifts.
I don’t have enough hours left to do 6 shifts in a week as yet, as most shifts are 10-12 hours in length, which suits me fine.
Never been busier! :open_mouth:

…I think I’ll stay on agency for a while now - even if I’m offered full time. :wink: