"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Spardo:

DIG:
I see there has been some rail/ bridge disasters over the years and we to have had some here in West Oz not involving trucks but one of recent time is worth a mention when a 4 loco train of 30000 tons of BHP iron ore was derailed by the company when the train took off with out the driver.Investigation is still under review.

Can’t remember where or when but there was one involving a road train in the Territory on a crossing. I believe the crossing was too close to a bend in the railway for the driver to see the train when he started to cross. It came to me via Railtrain Australia during one of the intermittant times that they were sending me e-copies. It resulted in quite a discussion with a rail employee who was also a roadtrain driver.

I know of one incident of a near miss when a mate northbound with a triple 3 tarped/sheeted trailers gate high was approaching the level crossing on the Mt Tom Price Dampier line just south of Karratha when the lights and bells all started and he realised he wasn’t going to be able to stop in time so he planted it and the boom gate came down on the last trailer the truck won and the boom gate needed replacement but no delay for the iron ore train.

Dig