Ageing drivers and driver shortage

Drempels:
Adam277, (and anybody else who might) please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m not putting the topic down.

I shouldn’t worry about a driver shortage, it would be brilliant news, but it’s unlikely to happen. There isn’t one, and there never has been, a study of driver salaries for the last hundred years or so will prove that.

I would be more concerned about some half-witted government scheme (if enough employers and trade associations shout loud enough) to encourage/force people in other jobs or on benefits to become HGV drivers. Couple that with “flexible working” (employer subsidies through “tax credits”) and we will really have some problems.

Look at the “wanna drive this bus?” adverts and see how bus drivers behave.

Look at the laughable “private hire” vehicles and how they’re driven.

Look at “self employed” food delivery drivers and how they act.

That - should it come, will be the time to start worrying.

Transport for London - seem to be phasing out proper professional drivers in favour of the “You buy a licence, 9 points and dubious history OK” kind. Anyone can drive a puddle jumper on an ordinary car lience. Van expenses can be claimed by the self-employed, making “Van Hire” a viable business start-up proposition.
A reform of the Tax Credit system - would solve this problem. There’s too much emphasis in our so called “Equal” society in that Tax Credits only seem to be for Guys that have a low-paid job, rather than for Stay at home Moms, who of course don’t have a job at all!

I wonder how long it will take London from the ultra-low emission zone roll-out (April, just after Brexit is due…) to see empty shop shelves?

There’s stuff you can get onto an artic for delivery - that just won’t fit in the back of a bedford rascal! :bulb: