PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Buzzer:
The Blue & White Foden has a Cornish registration so pretty sure it was ex English China Clay, Buzzer

:wink:

bluenosebulls:
“DEANB”
“bluenosebulls” Paul sent me this pic overnight. This is the odd looking tankers that Cadbury’s used to run. :wink:

That’s a great pic, they do look good. They ran them similar in the 90s I think they were volvos, coming from leominster, they always stood out. Thanks

Glad you liked the pic chap ! :smiley:

gingerfold:
That’s a great pic, they do look good. They ran them similar in the 90s I think they were volvos, coming from leominster, they always stood out. Thanks

They were more of a special tipper than a tanker and used for transporting chocolate crumb, which was made at Marlbrook. The story was, and it might be a myth, that chocolate crumb had to be made at a separate factory to Bournville, because if crumb and liquid chocolate were made on the same site then the chocolate wouldn’t set. Sounds like a tale to me but bulk sugar delivering drivers were told that at Marlbrook. And they did, and still do, take a lot of sugar every day.

Thanks for the info Graham. :smiley:

Retired Old ■■■■:
I had rather a weird job for a couple of weeks back in the 1980s: Cadbury’s at Marlbrook used to -probably still do- have their imported sugar delivered in ISO containers from Bell Lines at Newport. After tipping the “boxes” there would still be about a tonne of product left in the container which wouldn’t flow out due to the design of the system. Of course, being foodstuff, it couldn’t be shifted by the usual method of sending a chap inside with a shovel!
I was tasked with he job of taking these “bits” of loads from Newport to Marlbrook. Bell Lines had a gantry which I parked my powder tank underneath, Their straddle-carrier would then mount one of the “almost empty” containers on the gantry, which was then tipped by hydraulic ram while a couple of their chaps perched on top heaving the polythene liner out from the box as it went up. Health & Safety? Do me a favour!
This process was repeated throughout the day until about 4.00pm when I was dispatched to tip at Marlbrook the next morning, then return to Newport to start all over again.
As I recall, I was on this job for about a week. Presumably someone else got the job after that.

By the way, Dean, thanks for the 88- I’ve almost stopped shaking now!

Thanks for the comments “ROF” :wink:

ArcDaz:
“Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaz” M.J.Turner Routeman.
Dean that M. J. Turner Routeman is a beauty never heard of that name before paul Mark and you have great material that you post on this thread some thing different all time i love the old post office trucks as well remember them from my young days thanks for thinking of me Kind Regards Daz :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for the comments Daz,i thought someone may have driven for the post office on here. :smiley: :wink:

Mark R:
Hi… It’s equally enjoyable looking at the old cars in the background,… Check out the Hilman Hunter behind the Scammell and the old Cortina Mk1 behind the Ferrymasters Volvo!
Lovely stuff,… MR.

I know what you mean “Mark R” i am always looking at the vehicles in the background of these photos. :laughing: :wink:

windrush:
Talk of Cadbury reminded me of the many hours spent at Bourneville when Tilcon’s West Midlands based surfacing gangs (ex Val de Travers lads mainly) were resurfacing most of it. Coach loads of women used to arrive to buy stuff in the ‘cut price’ factory shop, however (according to the workers there) it was cheaper in supermarkets! :unamused:
Cadbury also had a works at Knighton that we sometimes delivered chatter or scalpings to when they had buildiing work going on, it was on the canal network and even at that late stage (1980’s) still sent barges down to Bourneville.
Still there but now owned by Knghton Foods it seems;
knightonfoods.com/who-we-are
Pete.

You got about a bit Pete on Tilcon’s ! :laughing: I like the bit about Cadbury’s chocolate being cheaper in the supermarkets than the “cut price” factory shop ! :laughing: :laughing:

MANTRONIC:
Hi ,Roger Marshall from Newport ,did a lot out of Bellport ,he would deliver suger to a factory up in Merthyr they made chocolate products,with his Crusaders ,awesome machines . G D J Price from Nash Newport hauled sugar up to the breweries in Burton on trent , DEAN any more from Roger Marshall ? MT

Thanks for the info “MT” :smiley: Not sure if there are any more Roger Marshall trucks i will have a word with Paul. :wink:

marktaff:
“MANTRONIC”
Hi ,Roger Marshall from Newport ,did a lot out of Bellport ,he would deliver suger to a factory up in Merthyr they made chocolate products,with his Crusaders ,awesome machines . G D J Price from Nash Newport hauled sugar up to the breweries in Burton on trent , DEAN any more from Roger Marshall ? MT

Hi MT,
The chocolate factory in Merthyr would be been OP Chocolates :smiley:
Regards Mark

Thanks for the name Mark. :smiley:

kenfig bill:
DEAN …always good feed back regarding S Wales …Bell line hauliers …like the Glyn Phillips Newport F10 a couple of pages back …had forgotten him ! …yes Marktaff OP chocolates …the factory had blue tanks …didnt they make chockie brazils …yum yum !! …lol …Geraint

:smiley: :wink:

pete smith:
“Retired Old ■■■■”

When I was knee high to a grasshopper I used to go with my old chap to take the milk from the Three Counties Show to Cadbury’s Frampton-on-Severn chocolate plant (wrote a bit about it on here somewhere a few weeks ago. This must have been late 1950s I would think and Cadbury’s smart narrowboats were still doing the “trunk” from there to Bournville via the Gloucester & Sharpness Ship Canal, River Severn to Worcester, then the Birmingham Canal Navigations.

A pic of Cadbury’s Knighton Wharf on the Shropshire Union Canal,
[/quote]
Nice memories “ROF”. Thanks for the pic Pete ! :smiley: :wink: