PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Retired Old ■■■■:

windrush:
Talk of Cadbury reminded me of the many hours spent at Bourneville when Tilcon’s West Midlands based surfacing gangs (ex Val de Travers lads mainly) were resurfacing most of it. Coach loads of women used to arrive to buy stuff in the ‘cut price’ factory shop, however (according to the workers there) it was cheaper in supermarkets! :unamused:

Cadbury also had a works at Knighton that we sometimes delivered chatter or scalpings to when they had buildiing work going on, it was on the canal network and even at that late stage (1980’s) still sent barges down to Bourneville.

Still there but now owned by Knghton Foods it seems;

knightonfoods.com/who-we-are

Pete.

When I was knee high to a grasshopper I used to go with my old chap to take the milk from the Three Counties Show to Cadbury’s Frampton-on-Severn chocolate plant (wrote a bit about it on here somewhere a few weeks ago. This must have been late 1950s I would think and Cadbury’s smart narrowboats were still doing the “trunk” from there to Bournville via the Gloucester & Sharpness Ship Canal, River Severn to Worcester, then the Birmingham Canal Navigations.

A pic of Cadbury’s Knighton Wharf on the Shropshire Union Canal,

187435_62ea8e93.jpg