Contesting smart motorway fine

Washwipe:

mm1988:

toonsy:
Is it not just easier and less tine consuming to drop to 50mph? It would’ve cost seconds instead of hours/days/weeks contesting a potential fine.

Yeah I get the point and it can be frustrating and leads people into ignoring gantry info because it’s wrong/not turned off when it’s finished with etc but ultimately it’s a few seconds lost and a few clicks of the CC and that’s it.

I’m sure you can contest it but you’ll need to spend time gathering evidence etc and ultimately they could say it was down to 50mph for any number of spurious safety reasons and its then game over for any challenge.

You’re right it’s not worth the hassle but it really annoys me. I was on the M6 near Birmingham last week about half 4 in the morning and 1 gantry was set to 30mph. Again there was hardly any other traffic on the road and the gantry happened to have a camera on it.

Of course if there is a genuine reason for it I have no problem with them being on like around Leeds in an afternoon when it’s busy and the cameras are flashing constantly, people deserve to get caught but when there is nothing on the road it really annoys me.

Also I slowed down to 50mph this morning and the tipper in front didn’t seem to be going much faster but it was enough to trigger the camera. Does anyone how much over the limit the camera’s are set?

Like many on here I spend most of my time on Mways, never seen a gantry sign at 30mph, even when the traffic has been crawling, never seen it below 40mph.
Normally they go 60, 50, 40 and then up again, never seen them go straight to 50 unless joining from a slip road to an existing limit.

You can’t do much night driving around Birmingham then, regularly down to 30mph on the M42 when anywhere else in the country through roadworks t would be 50mph