Eu referendum whats your vote

Franglais:

gingerfold:

Franglais:

gingerfold:
^^^^Knowledge of the Food Industry. Since 1968, two very major producers of a wide portfolio of products, where my job took me to several EU and non-EU countries and one very major UK haulage company, where I’m still employed. My current job gives me daily contact with customers ranging from millers, growers, and food processers. Yes, three employers but a multitude of companies within the food industry. So I know a bit about the industry. Perhaps you might care to outline your own experience of it and if it’s superior to mine then I’ll give way to your knowledge, but never ever accuse me of subjectivity.

I fully concede that you may have a daily interaction with the food industries much deeper and wider than mine.
But I doubt it is wider and deeper than that of the ONS, FullFact or any other legitimate number crunchers.
I’m not setting up a particular set of numbers, I’m agreeing with your previous post that we should look deeper at properly sourced stats.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I agree that is the problem Franglais, so much of what is out there from various sources is open to different interpretation. What happens from time to time in the food industry still surprises me. A few years ago I was astounded when containers of onions from New Zealand started to arrive at the consolidation hub. Surely an instance of the transport costs being far greater than the value of the product, especially as then we were doing seasonal bulk haulage of onions from field to storage, a distance of 12 miles from our consolidation hub. And the locally grown onions were every bit as strong as those from NZ.

Of the 40% imported it’s worth noting that is calculated on net value, not tonnage, or food/nutritional value etc.
No one is saying that 40% of all separate groups are imported. (n.b. Carryfast).
Clearly 100% of oranges are imported and it’s no shock that most grass fed meats are home produced.

Can we produce more in the UK?
Should we?
For all sorts of reasons I would say “Yes” to both.
But I don’t think that using that to justify a bad decision (Brexit) is a valid argument. Making a bad choice and then seeking reasons to live with it isn’t honest.

That last bit isn’t particularity directed at GingerFold.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Yes, I knew that the 40% figure was net value, but again not all from the EU.

Obviously oranges and other citrus fruits are imported, and we pack all the citrus fruit, and grapes, for a very major supermarket chain. Depending on the time of year and where the fruit is sourced from - Spain, or Greece, or Israel, or South Africa, or California, or Florida, and how it arrives at our hub, then the pack house can employ any number between 300 and 600 people in a 24 hour period. The Spain and Greece sourced produce comes by road, and virtually all the trucks delivering are from the country of origin. Likewise, salad produce from Spain and Portugal that is the main source at this time of the year. It goes to the parent company a few miles from our hub.

Much of the beef we deliver is Irish sourced but packaged over here , obviously the Taoiseach Leo Varadkar doesn’t realise this or he wouldn’t be so confrontational in his language. His farmers will lose a lot of income in a no deal Brexit scenario. Eire has more to lose, proportionally, than any other EU food supplier to the UK. Eire exports of food and drink to the UK in 2017 was a value of 3.7 billion Euros. Total value of Irish exports to the UK in the same year 16 billion Euros, pharmaceuticals being a very important sector. The UK is Eire’s second largest export market after the USA. Source: The BBC, so it must be correct and unbiased.

For the record I voted Leave, after a lot of due consideration. My decision, in the final analysis, was based on the conclusion I reached that the EU in its present format is unsustainable and that it will implode one day, for too many reasons to list here. Since the referendum in 2016 my view has strengthened and if another referendum were to take place I would vote Leave again.