"Heavy Haulage through the years"

jsutherland:

pv83:

EDTRUCK:
Good evening to you all
Was it Sunters that had the river bridge collapse on them at Ferrybridge or Boroughbridge in the 1950s/1960s?

Hiya mate, you’re alright?
Wasn’t it Wynn’s when that bridge… gave way…? Didn’t Dean posted an article about that event on here?

Wynn’s was also involved in a level crossing on 6 January 1968 - the Hixon Rail Crash. An express train hit the low-loader with a 120 ton electrical transformer on it as it was crossing the level-crossing.

Interestingly - This route had been approved by the Ministry of Transport, but the map of the route made no mention of the level crossing at Hixon;
Source: Hixon rail crash - Wikipedia

More information can be found here:
Tragedy on the West Coast Main Line – Ignorance from Arrogance in 24 seconds | The Railway Magazine

Very interesting indeed Johnny, cheers.

One of the reasons I don’t like these sort of level crossings, especially with a low loader, I always make sure that there’s enough room between me and the car in front of me in case a plan B is needed…

Last serious accident on such a crossing was in France I reckon, happened near Pont d’Ain, due to roadworks they couldn’t get through the crew tried to find a alternative route which was suitable for them, they did find one, but there was a level crossing in it which was like going over a speed hump, nearly halfway over, a train (I believe it was a TGV) was coming towards them on full speed… Maybe Froggy knows more about it?