Northwest Trucks

gingerfold:
Yes Robert, the bus does look odd, and it will look even odder in a second when the car crashes into the side of it. :open_mouth: I’ll look in my Bolton Corporation Transport books as I don’t recall any policy of re-bodies at Bolton. It was a highly individual municipal fleet, for example it was the first to specify Leyland PD2 variants with air brakes (1948 batch IIRC) and also synchromesh gearboxes.

Synchromesh in 2nd, 3rd and 4th to be precise! Yes, thanks, it’ll be interesting to see if that was a re-bodied bus! Robert
[/quote]
Hello again Robert. As I thought Bolton Transport didn’t pursue a bus re-body policy, so the bus in the photo was built with a long rear overhang. It is a Leyland PD3/4 with East Lancashire Coachbuilders front entrance / front staircase body. The first buses with this design that Bolton bought and the first ones entered service in 1959. I remember them well, they were frequently used on the Number 52 Bolton to Bury route, which served the district where I grew up. Incidentally Bury had some as well but with a bellows type folding door. Bury Corporation often followed Bolton’s policy, the air braked PD2/4 was also used by Bury, and it’s claimed that Bolton and Bury were the only two municipal fleets to purchase that variant of a PD2.
[/quote]
Cheers Graham, I knew you’d come up trumps! :smiley: Robert