Buses, coaches, & lorries

Leyland600:
Hi Tynside that bus deep in the snow heading for Stanley via Flint Hill looks like a Venture Atkinson with Willowbrook body. Deep snow was/is a regular feature around Consett which Venture drivers could cope with. Looks like a busy time at Worswick St with the Northern Guy setting off for Jarrow.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hi Leyland 600. I am well used to the snow, I was born and lived in Eighton Banks on the hill top at the other side of the valley, above Birtley & Washington. Depending on exactly where you stood in the village you could see either Durham Cathedral or right over to the west past Burnhope and Pontop Pike transmitters. Over to the East was a view of the coast between the Wear and Tyne.
A couple of mile north on Old Durham Rd brought you to the top of Sherrif Hill and a panorama over Newcastle and up towards the Cheviots. Before digital Tv I could unplug the Ariel lead from my set and still get four stations.

Did you know Hunter Bros from Tantobie ? they used to run a few service buses in the Stanley / Consett area and also some tippers.

As a kid in the fifties I can remember standing in a very busy Worswick St. station with my mam waiting for the 75 which ran over the Tyne Bridge up Deckham and Sod House Bank to Sherrif Hill, along to Wrekenton and Eighton Banks down Black Fell to Chester le Street and then up to Houghton le=Spring, quite a journey.

Tyneside