Ageing drivers and driver shortage

kevmac47:

no1dieselman:
What would help would be relaxing the medical requirements for older drivers. Our retirement age keeps getting pushed up as we are fitter for longer, licensing should reflect this too.

The medical isn’t any more stringent for older drivers than anyone else, I’m 71 and have kept my licence. My main beef is the cost, my own doctor wants £130 every year :open_mouth: :open_mouth: fortunately there is a transport training facility near to me which has a doctor who conducts medicals at £55. I don’t think I would have kept my licence up if I had to pay £130 every year. I’m not interested renewing drivers cpc which runs out this year, but i will probably renew the HGV licence one more time as 2020 will be 50years since I passed my Class1. Regards Kev.

I only paid £50 for mine locally my Dr wants £100 but this does not include the eye test ( I have a free test every year )

A lot of the younger generation don’t want the job cost too much for training pay to low all the traffic on the roads all the rules & regulations the hours most don’t want to do 40 hours per week never mind 60+ they want to be home every night lack of facilities