"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Spardo:

DIG:
I think your right Patrick I worked for Leylands n 1969/70 when i first arrived in Oz and that was the first time I came across one and it was at that time they produced the Turbo charged 690 engine the first models had the turbo mounted at the back of the engine which caused overheating and a nice warm floor in 40c plus heat.The next model had the turbo mid mounted on the side as most makes of engines are today,Leylands lost the battle with Macks and KW at that time as they produced radiators that needed shutters to keep them warm where the Super Hippos needed bigger radiators to cool them down.
Heres a few examples of ones I came in contact with models from1965 to 1973 the cab is pretty much the same on all of them.

Dig

A big user of Leylands in the Territory was Baldock, one of the pioneers and very faithfull to the make, and I saw several of those Hippos when I was there in the 60s. He also had some later models including the AEC badged Mustang with an LAD cab that we discussed many pages back.

One of his neighbours was Ted Stiles who was equally devoted to Fodens. Both took a long time to come round to the Macks that Buntine was majoring on by that time, and if they converted before disappearing from the scene, it was after my time.

Is that the Baldock you’re referring to Spardo?