Northwest Trucks

moomooland:

kevmorrow:
Excellent photos Paul

Cheers Kev here’s a few more from the Northwest archives.

7 1956 and a Leyland Beaver draw-bar outfit is in the thick of the action in Piccadilly Manchester. (Click on picture for larger size)

6Ardwick roundabout 1966.

5Hyde Road 1965.

4AEC operated by ICI Petrol on the Mancunian Way June 1969.

3Commer on Alexandra Road Hulme Manchester 1965.

2Beattie’s yard Bennet Street Ardwick 1966.

1Tesco Commer heading through Northernden Manchester in 1966.

0To finish off a milk float comes a cropper on the A669 Lees Road Oldham. :slight_smile:

Marvellous photos brings back many fond memories.
Photo at Piccadilly
Younger drivers would not believe heavy loads were transported through Manchester centre. I learnt main routes and shortcuts through driving Bread vans early 1960s. Found memories of Lewis’s department store Piccadilly shopping 1950 and delivering bread early 1960s, I remember Lewis’s had quite a few Scammell scarabs then Ford Custom cabs based at their furniture warehouse close to Urmston Town centre. I had a BSA A10 Goldflash motor bike in the early 1960s but that cannot be me as the rider in photo was wearing a helmet. Not certain but is the box van at the rear a British Rail van. Looking at the Commer Karrier and the wagon and drag look well sheeted up and sure drivers then had time and pride in their job.
Ardwick roundabout.
DCL was based at Pollard street and while working for Smiths of Eccles Trafford park late 1960s they had had the contract for the fleet mainly TKs. DCL I believe owned their own tanker fleet and drivers. I worked out of DCL to cover holiday relief. The TKs delivered Cardice Carbon Dioxide Cylinders to Aero Space industry, Foundry’s and most important Breweries where the driver was given a pint on every delivery burp!
Hyde Road 1957.
Great photo of Lorry’s and great shot of scooter driver rubbernecking behind the first motor. Just praised the previous vehicles sheeting but the lorry at the Zebra crossing needs some improvement. I expect the load is loose cardboard held down with a sheet. Notice Belle View Booking office. Other side of road is Belle View and the rail goods yard near Kirmanshulme that later became Freightliners terminal.
Alec Road 1965
Noticed Prices breadvan delivering to prices shop. I recal they had many Thames 4D motors. I know they had a bakery at Ardwick and Droylsden but think they had merged with bought out Greggs at Droylsden. Demezas shop other side of road was when I got married we bought our curtains from. Duncan and Fosters bread and Cake shop same side. Duncan and Fosters had large vans Thames 4Ds then changed fleet to Ford Custom Cabs after buying out Robinsons cakes.
Beaties Bennet Street.
Maybe John Stansfield will know better but did Beaties do a lot of coal coke work out of Bradford Manchester Gas Works. Not sure but did Evers Brothers buy Beaties out late 1960s.
Tescos Commer at Northenden 1966.
Delivered to that Tescos shop many times.
Was the Tescos Commer from Middlewich distribution depot? I have driven many Commer Karriers but never the bigger vehicles. I remember driving over Shap at night in my state of the art AEC Mandata and a Commer 2 Stroke must have passed me at 100 mph uphill with flames gushing out of the exhaust.
Milk cart at Lees Oldham.
Dave Docwra. Two Ton Ted of Teddington in his breadvan had gone for his Bun and run poor Ernie off the road, but No use crying over splilt milk. Looks like the police lady is ready to take the Golden Wonder Crisps as evidence maybe end up in the station canteen.
Them were the days when milk carts were loaded to the roof. Gone are the days when you can spot a milk cart and cows in the field.
Regards Kev and thanks for the memories.