Passing with oncoming traffic

I have my class 2 test in the morning. There’s one thing that concerns me the most so I just want to ask, what’s the correct way to deal with passing parked cars in particular where there’s just about enough space to pass the parked cars at the same time as oncoming traffic? My instructor says it’s fine if there’s enough space but to just take it slow, but I was always under the impression that if the oncoming traffic needs to change speed or adjust their path that would be a fail. But if there is enough space and I’m too cautious I’ll be marked down for undue hesitation I suppose. Any advice would be appreciated.

wazz:
I have my class 2 test in the morning. There’s one thing that concerns me the most so I just want to ask, what’s the correct way to deal with passing parked cars in particular where there’s just about enough space to pass the parked cars at the same time as oncoming traffic?

My instructor says it’s fine if there’s enough space but to just take it slow, but I was always under the impression that if the oncoming traffic needs to change speed or adjust their path that would be a fail. But if there is enough space and I’m too cautious I’ll be marked down for undue hesitation I suppose.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hard one this because a lot depends on the ability of the oncoming driver(s) who may or may not be able to judge the width available

I had one such this morning whilst driving my car - the car in front was passing parked cars and every time another vehicle of any size came the other way it braked - there was enough road space to allow two LGVs to pass each other easily at the side of the parked cars …

This is where you need an understanding of the difference between bullying your way through and encouraging folks to help you.

I can normally help in writing, but the more I think about it, the more I think I could mislead you. And that’s no good at any stage in the game - let alone at the 11th hour!

Surely your instructor has advised you on this and given you plenty of practice? That being the case, do as you’ve been trained. I am making the assumption, of course, that the trainer is a good’n.

All the best for tomorrow, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

i was told by my instructor ( mind you this is 1977) that in a situation like this always allow space for a car door to open , so rule of thumb would be if you can pass the parked cars plus allowing extra room for an open door go for it, if you’re having to leave a ■■■ papers width to go by , dont. what you do after the test is up to you . i’m usually trying to get out of my car whilst staring at a super single about 6 inches away.

So how did it go? ROG has got fireworks ready and waiting!!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I just popped in to ask the same Pete.

Did you pass?

tonyj105:
i was told by my instructor ( mind you this is 1977) that in a situation like this always allow space for a car door to open , so rule of thumb would be if you can pass the parked cars plus allowing extra room for an open door go for it, if you’re having to leave a ■■■ papers width to go by , dont. what you do after the test is up to you . i’m usually trying to get out of my car whilst staring at a super single about 6 inches away.

Had an assessment for the job I’m in now (7.5t), driving a 3.5 van (yeah yeah, stfu :smiley:) Driving in central London and I stopped at a squeeze point because I could see it would be, well, a squeeze, to get through against the oncoming traffic.
Marked down for that.
I know it wasn’t a driving test per se but a car door opening seems a tad …much? What’s that, just less than a metre? Give em 2 feet :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies, only a few months late with an update!

Nope I didn’t pass unfortunately. On the independent drive part of the test I was coming off the motorway following signs for Chorley I believe, I wasn’t sure which lane I needed to be in at the roundabout so took a guess and it was the wrong one. The examiner said to me “we’re in the wrong lane we need to be over to the right” so I checked my mirrors, indicated and moved over but he failed me as I apparently caused confusion.

Still waiting for a retest, hopefully doing it in the next few weeks.

Had my retest today at Wrexham which I was a bit apprehensive about since all but a few hours of my training and first test was at Atherton. Passed with no minors so I’m made up! :grimacing: Examiner was sound, talking to me most of the test so was less nervous than last time with the miserable sod.

I am planning on signing up with an agency to gain experience whilst keeping my other job as I only work 2 short evening shifts and 2 days on Thursday and Saturday. Can anyone recommend an agency in Liverpool / north west? Can I tell them when I can and can’t work etc?

Congratulations and all the best with the job hunt.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

wazz:
Had my retest today … Passed with no minors

:smiley: :smiley:

wazz:
Can I tell them when I can and can’t work etc?

Yes, absolutely yes. This is the main selling point for Agencies.

And don’t be drawn into a “Why not”? scenario. They do not need to know why you can’t do a shift for 'em.
A simple “No, sorry, not available that day” is plenty.

I mention this because it happened to me in my early days of puddle jumping (9 months back :smiley: ) and I look back on that phone call with much embarrassment :smiley:

What worked for me is if in doubt just hang back wether its going though a gap or roundabouts. Id rather get marked down for hesitation then pulling out on someone and failing. I passed my psv, class 1 and 2 first time so seemed to have worked lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk