Lorry or Truck

discoman:
Here we go again, have you ever been to Australia? Most units, are referred to as a prime mover, you know a vehicle that pulls a trailer … as for a wag and drag they are often referred to as a truck and dog (here in Nsw anyway) but you would know that wouldn’t you carry fast … oh and yes, in Australia, thye do use a primer mover tomcouple up to a wag and drag trailer … they use the A frame to couple to a 5th wheel then attach to said Dog… but you would know all this wouldn’t you… as said have you ever been to Australia■■?

Maybe, you didn’t read it correctly, I said the brigade generally refer to them as Engines and pumps …

I and most I know from the UK know then as Fire Engines… and if there was a tower block then thye would send a ladder to the block wouldn’t they … the general public wouldn’t say could you please send a fire lorry to a fire … they would say we need the fire brigade… As for an Air Accident unless it was on the public highway it would be dealt with by the airport fire service …

I’ve never been to Oz but do know that firstly they call tractor units Prime Movers there because road trains were generally pulled by rigids so Prime Movers not tractor units.However the name erroneously stuck after the general change.As for pulling a semi trailer with a tractor unit using a dolly which you seem to be describing why ?.While if you mean using a drawbar coupling on a unit to couple up to an A frame trailer that’s still a tractor unit not a Prime Mover unless you remove the fifth wheel and fit a ballast box in its place.However they are all types of …truck driven by …truckies ?.

As for fire brigade terminology as I said a fire engine or a pump or a tower or refinery or aircraft tenders are all types of fire …trucks not lorries.Especially when ordering the chassis to build any of them on.IE in the first instance it’s an enquiry for a fire truck chassis not a fire engine,let alone fire lorry,chassis.

While Commercial Motor at least changed its classified used vehicle pages title from Vehicles to Trucks around the late 1980’s for some reason.