Another looking for a career change

I’m sure you guys looking to move after many years of other jobs are pretty World wise and have done your research of the issues and problems in the haulage industry.
If you’ve had a bit of control and decision making in your job or management experience, you might find being spoon fed by some large logistics company a bit of a culture shock, especially being dealt with by some inept traffic planner.
Then you have the rest of the population, which mostly looks at trucks drivers as somebody not worth their time and trucks as a necessary inconvenience at best and probably a total menace that should be banned from the road and any layby, pot holed bit of tarmac, laughing called a service area or piece of wasteland you’re lucky enough to find to park to have you compulsory rests and breaks, this of course isn’t helped by some of your colleagues who fail to understand their selfish actions impact on us all, no point trying to reason with them as they are hard of understanding best course of action is to make your excuses and walk away.

Anyway welcome and good luck, :smiley:
After all the doom and gloom, there are many different truck driving jobs, its trying to find a job and company that suits you, so if the first job doesn’t suit you try a few others. When I did haulage I hated anything RDC related, but liked some of the flatbed work, although it can be a bit more physical then turning up and backing onto a bay.

I did work with an ex-detective, who just hated his job so much he got out and drove a truck, we didn’t think he’d last more than a few months, but he took to it like a duck to water, but then the company we worked for used to let us get on with the job with minimal interference and despite a few drivers being a bit wary of him because of his previous occupation, he soon became accepted and even used his police experience to help one driver fight some very serious allegations.