The end of a wobble box

trevHCS:
After a lot of stop starting, I’m beginning to wonder what exactly was going on and whether this was a brake checking by the car in front of the caravan driver. By looks of things it plays out as:

• Silver car suddenly stops in live lane (vehicle 1).
  • Caravan driver can’t stop and slams into them (vehicle 2).
  • Truck slams into caravan (vehicle 3).

There’s a car in front of vehicle 1 which I’ve marked as vehicle 4 in the pic below and it’s far too close for it to have just overtaken a broken down car and then pulled back into lane one. Plus in the video the car marked 4 pulls away along with the rest of the traffic and only vehicle 1 (silver car) stops.

Thus either vehicle 1 (silver car) has a catastrophic malfunction causing it to brake hard, or it’s brake checked the caravan. No one is expecting this and thus everyone ploughs into everyone else.It might be the lighting but right at the beginning there’s no brake lights on vehicle (1) then they definitely appear to come on as it stops further suggesting that it hadn’t broken down.

What you can’t see in the pic is the car towing the caravan but in answer to the original question, yes the caravan does crash first shortly followed by the truck. Having studied it, I would say the truck driver reacted as quickly as I’d expect since you’re going along, suddenly caravan emergency stops (not too sure if showed any brake lights) and you’ve got to have reaction time which is usually measured around 2 seconds.

I blame ultimately the silver car (vehicle 1) for stopping suddenly and for no apparent reason in the live lane, the idiots in the Highways dept who thought no hard shoulder was a good idea although that might not have helped unless car had broken down and everyone else for driving too close. There’s my report for TNCSI. There are a couple more screenshots but it won’t let me attach more than one.

Agree apart from car 1 being at fault.